Monday, March 20, 2006

More early season racing

Another weekend a two more races.
This is the best spring for racing since I moved to Seattle in 2000.
It’s unheard of to race the entire Mason lake series without once getting rained on. I don’t even think I’ve made it without seeing snow. Saturday was a pretty good race, I tried with all my might to get in a break… but to no avail… 3 of our riders got gapped by a crash with 3 laps to go. With only two of us left and the fact that we already done more then our share at the front made it so much harder. When the break finally went I was exactly at the right spot, but made the conscious decision not to go with that attack. Obviously I made the wrong choice, how could I have known, all I knew was that my legs knew very well that they didn’t want to go. A few miles later a two man bridge attempt took of, once again I was right there, but not ready. One rider made it, so they were now three up the road….and they all just happened to be some of the best time trailers around… we were now fighting for 4th… I managed to take 5th in the pack sprint, finishing 8th for the day and 4th in the series.

Sunday, a new day and new race…The sun was out and it was probably the best weather I’ve ridden in since last fall. It was borderline but I decided to race with no legwarmers. The first ride in months without something over your knees, that always a great feeling, finally summer is here!..(well maybe not quite yet).
An early break got of. Too early to commit our team to chase quite yet. When we did start chasing our team did a great job, with several rides sacrificing their chances to give me a better chance.
On the final lap there is only one rider left of the front, and just like yesterday it’s down to a pack sprint for 2nd… After all that work from my teammates I mess it up slightly by being too far back when the sprint starts… I still manage 10th, but can only image what could have happened if I’d been a bit more aggressive the last mile…. The team rode a lot better then I managed to finish it of, oh well. We did a good job in chasing the break back, but we had some communication problems as we couldn’t reach each other to organize a solid combined effort….for once race radios would really have helped.

A weekend with great weather and two top 10’s… I can’t be greedy…

No comments: