Monday, March 05, 2007

Here we go

Strange, how most of us have been looking forward to race season for a while now, and when it’s right around the corner you still feel some reluctance for the inevitable. Maybe it’s the realization that time is running out for preparation, this is what all the cold wet rides were for, all the trainer time, all the sacrifices..it’s time to find out if it worked, if the mixture of trainer workouts and witch craft that we call a “plan” actually worked. It’s time to remind your self how much racing hurts.
There are no more coffee shop stops before the bonk…now you might be able to rumble though your jersey pockets with frozen wet fingers, while tiring to avoid the wet cold grit spray from the unfendered bike ahead of you, and try and find that one Gu that you hope for the sake of all that is good in the world, is still in there. Suck it down with the last splash of water and pray that it kicks in before the last hill or attack from the bastard who sat in the back the first five laps. It’s racing season.

Even with all the months since the last race, the night before is a scramble to get everything ready, Bike, wheels, team cloths, what gloves and how much ‘extra’ stuff do you bring in case the weather turns for the worse.

I didn’t get my race bike ready in time, so I was lucky to just be able to pull down my older race bike from the rack, grease the chain, inflate the tires and I was ready to go. Saturday morning was my first ride on a light, stiff bike since early October…wow, was it different.

The race it self went ok, no rain and warm…can’t complain there.
I did a hard trainer ride on Thursday, and Saturday morning despite taking Friday easy I woke up with very sore legs. 60 riders showed up, and it was a good race. We got our new Cat 2 in the main break(or he got him self in the break) of the day, but when it came back with 1 ½ lap to go, we missed out, partly due to fatigue and partly due to the fact that we as a team in whole were not all ready for the counter.
My legs are tired, even though I’ve done some great training this winter, nothing comes close to the intensity and willingness to go hard as in a race.

There is always next week.

1 comment:

Old as dirt said...

I guess I was that bastard who sat on the back for the first five laps!
But, I was seriously suffering, and could only ride hard for half a lap and then was done!