Monday, June 25, 2007

Fixed

I now know how much I like freewheeling, or just the fact that even a slight down hill can be so pleasurable.
Last wednesday I decided to go and do my second Wednesday track racing session ever (I went once at the end of last season.) . As a new track rider I’m racing in the cat 4 field, I might have more endurance then most of those guys, but this no coasting and only one gear thing is all new to me.
Ok, so I know I can’t spin, so I decided to go with a slightly larger gear (not that I would really know).. Kele told me that a 50x15 is pretty big.. and since spinning isn’t exactly my strength I decided to go with that. I should to be able to go fast, as long as I have time or a draft to accelerate in.
There were 27 riders in the race, pretty big for the track I thought…better try and stay up front.
My first race was a 8 lap snowball, where the 1st lap was worth 1point, 2nd lap two..etc..A riders jumped hard right of the bat…he can have that one… I waited patiently for a few laps.. finally on lap six I moved up front and attacked hard along turn 3 and 4… I took the 7points for that lap and just kept going.. and managed to stay away for the final lap also…hmmm, that wasn’t too bad! I couldn’t believe though how tired my legs were after that effort, it was only a 2mile race, and it definitely hurt a lot more than most 2 mile efforts I’ve done…and I didn’t even go really hard until the last 1 ½ lap…
The next race was a win and out.. if you win lap 10 you are done, else you keep going for another lap for 2n’d place, and then if you have anything left another for 3ed. I had no intention of doing more laps then I had to. I managed to get up front font lap nine, helped by the fact that two Zoka teammates were driving it at the front, as soon as the second riders died (slowed down) with exactly one lap to go, I went.. and once again I managed to stay away for the win..
The final race was a points race, and I managed to win three of the four sprints..and hopefully the overall.
It was a short night, but pretty intense, maybe I’ll try it again soon…

No comments: