Monday, June 18, 2007

I really did need an 11......

A weekend full of up’s and down’s.
The Methow Valley stage race was a lot later this year and despite not conflicting with any major race in Oregon (as far as I know) the participation although twice of last year was still a bit low. The omnium format was modified from last year, making the TT a bit more important, and it was still possible to score points if out of the top 10. It’s a pretty good TT, it’s not often we do a 10mile TT on a rolling course. I tried to start out a bit slower, well aware that the return leg was considerably harder, steeper climbs and with a headwind. Morgan my 30second man caught me at mile 3 or so, as he went up the climbs considerable faster then me. As we went down the other side I caught back up, and was forced to ride of the optimum line (if there was one) to avoid the draft. At the turn around I was a sec behind… going back down and along the flat I lost a bit of ground… until the second to last climb where I went my pace and he went his… and he was gone… oh well…I’, starting to get more comfortable on the TT bike every time… I just need to ride it more… I should have the power to go fast, at least on the flats, maybe I’m just too dragy??
The crit was way too hard… not sure quite what happened… I just couldn’t keep accelerating anymore, and just died fast…every 40sec I was sprinting out of the corners at 850-950W…20min later I just couldn’t do it anymore… I needed to be further up where the surges out of the corners was less, but once you get behind.. it’s even harder to move up.
After a great nights sleep where my air mattress went flat, and I slept on hard wood floor.. I was ready for the road race…at least my back was straight.

The road race was changed, to basically one longer loop, instead of a circuit race we had last year. We did last years loop as part of this years stage in both directions. With all the head wind and an early 3man break up the road, most of the out leg was pretty easy, except for the HB guys pulling. The feed zone hill and the following side wind section was really the only selective section…. I was ready and felt good up over the top. A few small splits appeared but nothing much happened here, many of the HB guys who had been working in the head wind understandingly suffered and got gapped of. The break was close and had split, with Ongers continuing on his own. Morgan attacked on the right, I was on the left and missed it.. nobody went with him… he quickly caught Ongers and of they went. If this stayed away Tubbs would have to wind the sprint for 3ed to guarantee the overall win (depending on the tie breaker rule..) Tubbs and especially Stanko did a lot of work in the closing miles… but with the tail wind the pace was so high it was nearly impossible to close the gap. The last few miles where a bit nervous, with the average speed at nearly 40mph. I wanted to stay up front, figuring that at this speed there wouldn’t be too many people coming around in the sprint, and in case of a crash a 40mph…the front is the place to be. 1 mile to go I was 5th wheel.. then a Canadian rider (why is it always them)..comes way across the yellow line and up front causing some surges. 1km to go I’m not quite where I want to be, but I still have time… Lang surges on the right I manage to shuffle in 4th or 5th on Tubbs wheel, but as soon as I get there we hit the 200m mark…(way too soon, ) and as the front guys realize that the line is right there, the sprint is on… I just barley got in place and can’t manage to surge again… I’m pedaling my 53x12 as fast as I can on the downhill tailwind sprint, but I’m losing ground…and cross the line 10th (12th overall)..I really needed an 11…and or faster legs… I was definitely disappointed with my finish, I was in pretty good positioning and just didn’t have it in the end.. I was hoping to get one good result for the weekend…oh well. Campbell took the sprint with Tubbs in Second, Andrew in third… not sure who won the overall with Morgan and Tubbs tied on points.

2 comments:

Andrew F Martin said...

You almost gapped 4 of us when you popped since we were all dying. When I finally got smart and moved up - my HR was 10 beats lower sitting top 10 than it was in the back.

JT said...

Sounds like you need to come to the track! That's where leg speed comes in handy. Hope to see you out there soon! Jen