Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I was feeling pretty good before the uphill TT on Saturday, well rested and pretty strong actually. It was the first time doing it with a power, so everything should go great….wrong. I started right at my target power, actually had to hold back to not overdue it on the first step section. 8min in, my power dropped, and I couldn’t get it up, unless standing and really going into the red zone. Soon after this I got passed by my 30sec guy, not good. I tried to focus on being smooth, not to panic, just go as fast as I could. I got passed by my 1min rider…great… and I still had 1 ½ to go. I finally crossed the line with a time that was my slowest since my first year as a Cat4… oh well….I went as hard as I could… that all I can do…It’s been a long season, and my legs decided to give out slightly earlier this year.. oh well. My teammates placed 2 and 3ed… just enough for us to tie for 1st in the team BARR competition.

Now you would thing that after such a great performance on Saturday, maybe I should take it easy on Sunday….yeah, I probably should…. The last two year I have done the master A race in the morning and then the 1-2 in the afternoon. I wasn’t going to let Saturdays disappointment change that, + I know that even though I might not be quite as strong as I want, I’m better then that. I end up leaving home at 10am…the race starts at 11:10am… the ride there takes about 1:05 going pretty fast… maybe a bit too much of a warm up. The race worked out ok, Flavio got in a few good breaks, that should have stayed away, I try and counter a few times when they come back.. It ends up a “pack” sprint in the end, I manage to get a pretty good position and end up 4th, the race is a lot different without Kenny there.

Now it’s time for lunch.. As I’m sitting outside at the table at Perts waiting for Kele to show up, Andy Hampsten (88 giro winner and 92 Alpe d’Huez stage winner) rolls up with his brother and some friends… now I just happen to have my camera with me… they walk inside but decide it’s too busy and ride of again before I manage to get a clear shoot…


So just imagine this picture with less snow, and without the ski goggles.

(http://www.hampsten.com/Company/meetus.html#)

The second race went ok… Our only goal going in, was to make sure Jason kept his lead in the season series. Each lap was worth $5, but with the bigger picture of the season series as our goal I resisted all temptations to go for any sprints. Our only job was really to make sure Ronnie never got in a break that might stay away, which was very unlikely, and to try and help Jason stay at the front, especially for the last lap. I don’t think I’ve ever raced Seward that conservative, either had Jason.

It worked out ok, Jason got 4th and increased his lead over Ronnie to 5points.

No comments: