Thursday, August 03, 2006

Track

Just what I needed, another thing to spend my time/money on. I’ve been slightly intrigued by track for a while, but have managed to pretty much stay away. I like small hills and rollers, this is where I feel like my strengths are, and the track has none of these. It’s pretty much flat, so ok there is a banking, but nobody launches an attack up it, it’s used to pull up from a pace line or recover. Ok, so you do attack down the “hill”… but that is nowhere close to my strength. Kele has really got in to the track the last year or so, so maybe I should give it a try. If I can race on Wednesdays, it shouldn’t be too bad… far enough away from the weekend, and maybe I can use it as a short intense workout, because god knows there is a lot of sitting around.
Going to a track event always reminds me of back in college when I used to run stadiums, and the track and field sprinters were working out on the track. Here I would be running/jumping up and down the stairs and I’d see the sprinters every ten minuets or so, do a 50 yard dash, 10 sec high knees or jump a few hurdles, the rest of the time whey would walk back and forth with a strange stride or stretch. After an hour or so of this they would retire to get ultrasound or what ever else happened in the training room under the stadium. Sure they were training for a different sport, but it just looked too easy…come on.. there has to be willpower and a pain barrier, something to push though and overcome, something that would build character.
Thank god track racing on a bike is actually more like the 800m, 1600m running events…lots of willpower and pain, but with a lot more tactics and pace changes.
Since I am new to the track I have to start on Monday nights, to get used to idea and not kill anybody important. I was surprisingly nervous before my first event, 8laps with a point available every 2 laps. Once we got started and avoided the near crash right in front of me on the first lap, it went fine.
Two things I noticed right away, 1: you are never in the right gear, to heavy for riding, but too light once the sprints start, 2: everything kind of happens slow, and you have to start the sprint earlier, because it takes a bit longer to accelerate.
Since I was there to get used to riding and racing a track bike, I didn’t necessary want to solo of the front just to try and win, so after each sprint I would sit up and get back in the pack. After one attack though I had such a big gap, and there was only 3 ½ laps to go, I thought I might as well go for it. With a lap to go I had a pretty big lead, and might have eased up slightly + I was getting tired. As I was coming onto the final straight two riders were apparently closing in very fast, a lot faster then I would have thought. On the road I don’t think this would have happened the same way, another thing I have to pay attention to…anyway, I held on and won by ½ a wheel… I still don’t think I slowed down that much!
But I’m still alive and I’ll give it another try next week.

No comments: