Saturday, May 05, 2007

On my ride today, I stopped by the Windermere cup Rowing race going on at UW. I rode down past the finish line; right by the water were all the crews were hanging out before returning back down the course.


As I was standing there I could hear the water splash against the boats, and all the so familiar sounds, the memories and urge to row came back stronger then it has since I left rowing years ago.
I rowed all four years at college, traveling all over, Philadelphia, Tennessee, San Diego, Boston and all over the mid west.

All that pain you go though in less then 6 minuets is amazing, nothing in cycling compares to the full body pain experience those last few strokes before the line.

This Sunday we have the State road race championships, with that gold medal being the ultimate goal. When I think back to how many State and regional gold medals I have from rowing, and how long ago that seems now, it's amazing... I will do my best to get that gold medal on Sunday, I will probably go though pain and self doubt...but I will push on.
In a few years it would probably collect dust in some box somewhere with the others. What will remain is the memories of teamwork, suffering and perseverance that got me there, the price is more then a medal, it's the road that got me there that really counts and what will last.

No comments: