Monday, April 30, 2007

Was this Vance Creek?

That was harder then it should have been….. or am I just weak?
After being sick since Wednesday, and feeling ok on a short Saturday ride I decided to race Vance Creek. I figured even if my fitness might be down slightly, at least my legs would be rested. Maybe it was the nice weather, maybe it was the fact that most people did not race Saturday. I don’t know…but it looked like everybody decided to show up on Sunday. Nathan was out of town, Flavio and Jason decided to skip this one, and we still had seven riders in the 1-2 pack…and it looked like most other teams did to. There was even a few pro’s showing up, Doug O, Even Elken, Ian M, Richter and a miraculously healed Tyler Farrar (after a miss diagnosed broken knee cap a few weeks ago in Belgium). It started out ok…started.
The first two laps were fine, sure some splits happened on the climb… on lap two the pack split in half, and I had to dig pretty deep to make it to the front, after taking it a bit too easy during the climb, drifting too far back. A small break of three got of at some point, but I wasn’t worried yet. The wind was picking up, not good. As we entered the farm roads for the third time, a placed my self near the front. 50m before the hard right into the cross wind section, Tyler and Elken come flying around my left, straight to the front and hit the corner at full speed and continue to drill it, the entire pack is single file, hanging on for dear life. I’m on Herriot’s wheel, but a gap opens up in front of him, when he finally pulls of, I go by and try to close it down as much as I can, I look back and there are gaps everywhere.. a few pulls later and I have nothing left, the group is still 50 yards ahead of us… I swing of and now there is more help, 15-20 guys go by and I dig deep to jump on the back. Robert does a monster pull at the front, which got us closer but killed him, and I never see him again. Finally by the parking lot we catch back on. The pack is now probably ½ size, and there are only 3 garage guys left. I move up on the right but apparently not far enough. As we take the right turn back onto the main road, we get hit by the cross wind again. I’m mid pack, but it’s still too far in the rear as the front drills it, and we are all hugging the centerline, hanging on for dear life. Pete is two riders ahead of me, and finally he can’t hold it, and leaves a gap, the Rubicon riders directly head can’t and neither can I.. just like that 17riders get of.. Campbell tries to bridge, but doesn’t make it. It was all about positioning, well not all… but being even just 5 riders further up at the corner could have made a world of difference. Pete and Kevin do a lot of chasing, but a lot of guys are just sitting on… The race is basically over at this point. Two laps later as I surge to go up the steep section before the finish line, I brake a spoke and my rear wheel seizes up…..just what I need, not that it wasn’t hard enough already. This was the same wheel that broke in Walla Walla, and just got fixed, sweet…….. I get a new wheel from the car and chase for a few miles before I pull out at the parking lot… 1 1/2 short. Yeah , no point in going another 15 miles for 35th and dig myself a deeper whole to get well from..
I don’t even know how it all ended….
Sometimes it good to get reminded how hard racing can be, how hard you have to dig to stay on, how much pain you have to be willing to push though… it actually feels pretty good….(now and a then)
And I didn’t even get my DQ on the way home.

2 comments:

Andrew F Martin said...

Tyler’amove into the corner before the cross wind was pure balls. I thought for sure he was going to stack it up with the wind hitting him from the inside as he exited that corner. The ensuing chase through that section was brutal. Jake made it and then it was a mess from there. I would have packed it in long before the finish if it wasn’t so damn nice out. Sorry about the wheel – it didn’t look right to see you holding your bike on the corner.

Unknown said...

Good write-up Michael. Sorry I didn't help in the chase efforts. Good job closing that first big gap. That was a real throttling by a Pro Tour rider. Humbling.