Monday, April 23, 2007

Walla Walla

Going into this weekends racing we had some great hopes for our main GC rider Nathan, who has been riding really strong lately. Personally I was hoping for some good results also, but I’m nowhere near good enough in TT’s to be a GC contender.
The new stage on Friday afternoon would definitely shake things up, and at least wear people down.
The new stage was all up or down. Initially I felt pretty bad but was just starting to feel better on the decent form the feed hill, when I spoke on my rear wheel suddenly decided to give out. The wheel change was a bit slow, but with some luck I should be able to catch on…10sec later I have to stop as the chain has somehow come of the rear derailleur pulleys.. damm… Once back I’m chasing in full TT mode, after a mile or so I take a right turn up the KOM hill… I can see the follow cars in the distance… I’m pushing nearly 400W up the entire climb…but as I crest the top, nothing…not even blown riders, nothing, no cars, nothing…This is where I start my 2hour solo break (of the back mind you)…I catch and pass a few rider on the next climb, but they are too blown to offer any help. I finish over 18min down, surprisingly 1min ahead of a group of riders I didn’t know existed ,sprinting in behind me…
Nathan ended up wining the stage, taking the sprint from a small group. Although this was great news, it turns out that the 4 fastest TT’ers where in the break also, so this could be hard weekend.

I left my TT bike in the hotel room for the TT, I decided to ride my road bike. There was no use killing my self and still be 18min down, so I used my road bike with power so I could ride within my limits and save myself for the 97mile RR in the afternoon. Hopefully Nathan could bust out a good TT and I would be ready to help him if necessary during the RR.

The RR wasn’t too exciting.. The neutral climb was actually neutral this year….
There were a few attacks, but nothing got of until the tail wind section on the last lap. The break of 6 contained 2 GC riders who were ahead of Nathan, so letting them go wouldn’t loose him anything, it was more up to the other teams if they wanted to defend their positions. We however decided to help chase it down, with HB and Bob’s. Maybe catching the break right at the base of the climb would help Nathan move ahead of the two riders in the break (if they spent too much energy, and he could gap them during the final accent). After pulling though a few miles I nearly blew completely on climb going into Waitsburg..I went back though the pack like a rock, but managed to hang on over the top. My hardest 30minuits of the weekend was that section, just miles before the final climb. I started the last climb a bit too far back, but actually climbed ok, had I started a bit further up, and saved some energy I might have managed a top 10… not that it meant anything for the overall, but it was nice to take something good personally out of the weekend. Nathan held on to his 5th, with now only the criterium left.

Somehow the rain stopped for our race…and after a while the roads actually dried up completely.


This sign was in the last corner of the crit...very appropiate

Two laps in realized that this would be a hard crit, my legs hurt. I had no power at all, and no matter what I did I my heart rate would not go up. Mid race I moved up to about 10th for a lap, and then when back just as fast. Feeling this bad, I decided to slowly move up, and hopefully time it ok, so I could be there for the finish. With a few laps to go, two riders get of the front. I somehow missed the two laps to go, and with one to go I was still a bit too far back… and that was that.. top 20maybe.. I needed another lap or two to give it a good effort.. oh well…...my HR average for the crit was below 160, a sure sign of fatigue..
Anyho, we survived and Nathan took 5th GC and Flavio 11h, and Garage 3ed in team GC….not too bad at all.

Kele won two stages during the weekend, missed the start for the TT, and ended up 4th overall… Nice when someone wins enough money for DQ on the way home………

No comments: