Tuesday, November 29, 2005

10days

10days of the bike sounded like an eternity… well it wasn’t too bad…and once you got used to having some free time you started to wonder how you fit it in at all.
I went back home to Sweden to visit my family, and to attend my grandfather’s funeral, so understandingly riding wasn’t really on my mind…
Although the trip was for a sad occasion it has some bright spots. It was really nice to connect with the family and relatives, many which I hardly ever get to meet anymore.
On the way home we spent a day in Copenhagen… (my sister now lives there)… it was nice to walk around and have a look at a town I haven’t been in too much since High school. Although Kele dragged me into every kitchen, home decorating, nick-nack store we passed within our line of sight… the only thing we didn’t do was knock on people’s homes to have a look…although I don’t think we were to far from it.
Other then that we drank a bunch of coffee and walked a lot… which was actually nice.
The following day we had a few hours before we had to leave for the airport, so my sister rounded up some bike and we rode though town on some old city bikes. A lot, if not most people who live down town Copenhagen travel by bike…so at all times there were hundreds of commuters riding around… a lot different then around here, were the 99% of the people who ride do it for recreation and not as a transport.
You would see old ladies going to the grocery store, students going to school and everything else in between…and even “good” looking girls in neat clothes that I could never even imagine would get out of their Lexus here in the US…. All the bikes where very practical and have both fenders and lights.
Maybe this would be possible in the US, but people would have to live closer to work and the cities would need more dedicated and separate bike lanes (with there own traffic lights)… before people become comfortable enough to venture out among the cars.

No comments: